Sunday, November 2, 2008

im interesting enough to be in the louvre

I just had a really strange night...

I've been sick for the last few days.  It started off as a little cold, turned into a sinus thing, and today its my throat.  I spent the entire day inside, studying, drinking chai and juice, eating soup.  Good times.  
Then Arash (a friend introduced to me by Narges B.-- hollaaa 021), sent me a text reminding me that there was a Sufi concert going on tonight; asking if I was still going.  I was like, "hmmmmmm.  why not?"  It's interesting, its cool, its chill, its chill.  
So I call up my friend Yasna (super cool Swedish-Iranian girl who's in my class) and I'm like, "Yo Yasna, theres this Sufi concert tonight, wanna go?"  
I later found out that she thought I said "sushi concert" but she said yes, nonetheless. 
So around 5:30 Yasna and I met up at the metro near the concert venue, got kind of lost trying to find the place, but finally after asking around a lot reached the spot. 
There were like 7 people randomly standing outside the front of the door, looking at us like someone had just died...
"Are you here for the concert?"
"Yeah."  
"It's been cancelled. "
"It's been cancelled???" 
"Baleh, Ostad geer kardeh Iran."  (The..i dont know...Rosa says its maestro... is stuck in Iran) 
"Geer kardeh Iran???"  (he's stuck in Iran???)
"Baleh, kardanesh zendan."  (Yes.  They've put him in jail.)
"Kardanesh zendan???"  (They've put him jail???"
"Baleh, chon keh........................"  I didnt really understand the reason.  I dont know if Yasna did either.  

So, we're like, great.  What now?  So we decided to go and eat something before we headed back home. 

There are randomly 8 million thousand lebanese restaurants around Paris.  Randomly.  And they all have AMAZING food.  We walk into one of the little restaurants and all of the sudden we hear these people speaking Farsi.  

We giggled a little bit, and ordered our food, and I was like, this is silly, I'll just say hi to them.
WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE.
I was like, "Salaam" and right then, one of the guys (he had a hezbollah beard and a loud voice) was like, oh lets get you guys chairs, and you sit here and you sit here, and lets get you settled, and now tell me....
He and his friends were students that came with a larger group from the University of Tehran.  The two other ones, Perssia (pronounced Purse-siyah) and Reza were cool.  But this one, Arash (Arash#2).  I wanted to slap him at the end.  
Every time Yasna and I would open our mouths to say something, he was like "JOOON.  ELAHIIIII.  GORBOONET BARAM!!  CHEGHAD NAZ SOHBAT MIKONII"  
I was like, dude, shut up and let me talk.  
So Yasna and I sat there and ate our food, and they sat there, and when we finished they were like, "Ok, berim McDonalds."  
I was like, um, we just ate?  and i think you did too?  But for some reason we ended up going with them to McDonalds, where Arash and Reza ate ice cream and Perssia, who was actually a really nice girl, I liked her, spoke with us about her life in Iran compared to her life here.

We were having a good conversation, but then Aghayeh Arash-eh gol was like, "Bachehah, quiz."  And he started to quiz us on slang words in Farsi.  Yasna and I were like, baba vel kon.  And we couldnt get up to leave because we were sitting in a booth and somehow we were in the middle.  No way to get out.  Stuck.  
Darab va Sara aab doost darad.  Sara va madar miravan beh baazar. 
I showed them what I knew how to write in Farsi.  they were pretty impressed.

Um.  So anyway.  I just wanted to leave because my throat hurt and I was tired.  And Yasna got so bored that she took out a pen and paper and was drawing. 
 
Oh, haha.  Arash wrote down his name and told us to go youtube him because he was like a musician in Iran and had a bunch of concerts.  I dont remember what his last name was though.

Bichareh was nice, he just talked a lot.  And he couldnt get over the fact that we had never lived in Iran but we spoke Farsi.  Like, he told us that we should be placed in the Louvre because it was so interesting.  

Anyway, after McDonalds, we hastily walked to the metro...not before he asked Yasna if her parents wanted her to marry and Iranian...wink wink, nudge nudge.  
Yasna and I were like, "ok, yeah, khosh hal shodim.. mhm, mhm, ok.. CIAO!" 

Well.  It was random.  But, in retrospect, I wanted to go to the concert to get my fix of Iranianness for the month... this pretty much covered it for the year.  







 
 

3 comments:

Maryam said...

Ran, take me to a sushi concert when we're there. OK? Hope you're feeling better. Amj.

Unknown said...

021 represent
"Baleh, Ostad geer kardeh Iran." (The..i dont know...Rosa says its maestro... is stuck in Iran)

ahhahahahah.
i hope you feel better. bien.

Coding diaries said...

hahaha that was hilarious! a perfect portrait of agha-arashe gol. oo i just puked a little in my mouth saying that