Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ranna is Incompetent

So.  Totalllyyyyy new experience for me just now.  I was taking a shower and all of a sudden the lights went out!  And at first I thought, shoot, the lightbulb burnt out or something.  So I took my shower in the dark and I walked out, and I couldn't turn any of the lights on.  And I freaked out because this happened before to Yasna before I came, and she didn't have electricity in the apartment for like a week.  So I called Yasna and I was  like, "uhhh, I was just taking a shower and all of a sudden the electricity went out!!"
And Yasna went "Well can you go downstairs and see if the hallway light turns on?"
And I couldn't because I had just come out of the shower and I was naked, but I asked "if the light in the hallway doesn't come on, what am I supposed to do? "
And she was like, "You have to call them."
"Who, Yasna?"
"The electricity company."
So I hung up the phone, got dressed, and went outside to check the light.  And in my head I was thinking, "pleaseeeeeee!  please light!  don't work so it's not just our apartment!"  But of course, the light turned on.
Just then, Yasna called me on Skype and was like, "well what happened?"
"It's our apartment."
"Shit, are you serious?"
"What do I do?"
"Go check the box."
"What box?  The thing that spins that you always check?"
"No, Ran, the fuse box in the apartment!"
And then I had a momentary freak out and was like, "YASNA, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THINGS LIKE THIS!!!"
And she was like, "Ran, when you go up the stairs, there is a box, go check if all of the switches look the same."
So I go and check and to me, all of the switches look the same.  So I tell her.  And she was like, "even the one at the top?"
AND THANK GOD IT WAS FLIPPED DOWN!!!  Because otherwise I couldn't know what I was supposed to do.  I mean, granted, Yasna said SHE would call the electricity company, but still.  I was scared I would be stuck at home, and it's getting dark, AND I was in the middle of doing a load of laundry so the entire time I was thinking, shoot, now all of my laundry is going to smell.
But apparently (Yasna says) since I was taking a shower, and doing laundry, and the chauffage had been on...wait...chauffage?  How do you say chauffage in English?  The heaters?  The heaters had been on for a while, I was just taking up to much electricity.  So now, I'm sort of paranoid and I've turned off all the chauffages and I'm sitting in the dark until the laundry load finishes.
Thank God Yasna was around because otherwise seriously SERIOUSLY literally I wouldn't know what to do and I would pack a bag and go to Sara's house until Yasna came home.

The end.

2 comments:

Sima L said...

Hahaha well done, Ranna! Growing up in a house of 4 women, there was always a lot of electricity being used at the same time, and inevitably SOMEONE would plug in the blow-dryer (drier?)...lights out. So I would always run down to the fuse box in our basement and flip the switch. The freakiest thing about that was just the sheer childhood terror I had of being in the basement alone.

Ranna said...

that's funny cus i was (am) really scared of basements too. what is it about them? when we were younger we lived in this victorian age house and my mom was always saying "its a hundred years old" and then once my dad convinced all of my friends and also me that there was treasure hidden in the basement and so we went and looked for it, and i was convinced there was a ghost down there