Sunday, February 20, 2011

When you know the notes to sing, you can sing most everything

Where to start... where to start?  I guess I'll start at the very beginning, a very good place to start.  When you read you begin with A. B. C.  When you sing you begin with Do Re Mi.  Do Re Mi.  The first three notes just happen to be Do Re Mi.  Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti......oh dear, let's see if I can make this easier...
Do a deer a female deer 
Re a drop of golden sunnnn
Mi a name I call myself
Fa a long long way to runnnnnnnnn
So a needle pulling thread 
La a note to follow sooooo
Ti a drink with jam and bread 
That will bring us back to Do Do Do Do DO. 

Honestly, once I started it was hard to stop.  I wanted to mostly prove to myself that I knew all the lyrics.  Sound of Music, waddup. 

Ok, but seriously.  I've been in Paris for about three weeks now and it's just now that I'm picking up my parchment and quill to write this entry?  Yes.  Well, I apologize to all of my avid fans (que: look of exasperation from those who think I'm being too full of myself) who have been waiting patiently for me to write a blog about being back in Paris. 

Paris.  Paris, France.  I can't believe that I'm back.  I can't believe that I'm actually back.  The idea of coming back, it was something that was always in my head since I left, but part of me was always hesitant to confidently believe that it would happen.  I'm sitting here now, on the couch, in this apartment, and part of me feels like I never left.

That's the biggest difference I think.  Last time, everything was so new and exciting and wonderfully different from anything that I had ever experienced.  I was the young and naive college student in France for her study abroad.  Every instant I would experience new feelings, sights, smells, sounds, that were so foreign.  This time, it has been so easy to get adjusted. 

To me, Paris has the element of "home."  When I'm here, I feel like I'm back to where I first created my own life, created my own community.  I don't feel separated from the people in the streets, I don't feel like a tourist, I don't feel like a student studying abroad.  I feel home.  

I'm so happy.  I'm so incredibly happy.  Just the other night, I was sitting in the metro, and I think I had to change metro lines like 3 times and at first, I was like, "mannnnn what the hell??? This is going to take so long!  I'm going to be in the metro forever!"  But then, I had to step back and say, "wait a second!  I'm in Paris taking the metro!  Why am I complaining?"  And I swear it made everything so much better.  It's as simple as saying "Ran, you're in Paris!"  And everything that might potentially irk me, just doesn't.  It's great.  I'm just floating.  I'm floating.  

And also, at this particular moment I'm really proud of myself because last night I went to Marion's house, and she invited some of her friends over, and I spoke French almost the entire night!  I really loved it.  I want to put myself back in situations like that where I'm forced to speak French, because honestly, I speak pretty well if I do say so myself.  So I'm sort of elated at the moment.  

I don't know.  Everything is really great.  I haven't really haven't had certain and specific experiences to write about as one blog post, but overall it's been a really good three weeks.  I'm really looking forward to everything that is to come.  

Love, Ran. 

No comments: